Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default underlayment

On Oct 16, 1:26*am, Joe wrote:
On Oct 15, 8:53*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Oct 15, 9:19*pm, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

Thats what i'm putting down, floating vinyl in one room and carpet in
the other. *So it seems I dont have a problem anymore, I just nail
into the joists.

Just remember to stagger all the joints in both directions. *That might
think you think a bit.

And as long as you are not using particle board (which you aren't) you are
not following the failed installation.

Perhaps you like unnecessary flexure in a floor, but can you really
countenance omitting a simple step that would improve the
installation? *Instead of having the two layers bonded and acting as
one, you'd prefer to save on a few pounds of screws or nails?

The previous installation worked just fine except for the particle
board *that got wet (so this one will be better). It isnt a simple
step to put down 2 layers instead of one but if it will make you happy
i will put some 1 1/4 ring shank nails in the field as well as nailing
it firmly to the joists. I have no problem with that. Otherwise I'm
not sure what you mean by omitting a simple step.

That is the simple step. You want the two layers to act as one -
monolithically. If you don't physically attach the two layers
together with glue/screws/nails the end result will not be nearly as
strong and stiff.