Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default ? on grounding TV antenna

terry wrote in
:

On Oct 15, 11:45 am, "Dave" wrote:
Was talking with someone the other day and mentioned that I had just
grounded the TV antenna (the mast, actually) to protect against
lightning strikes, and they said that was not such a good idea
because lightning is more likely to strike a path that goes straight
to ground. Now I am no

sure what to do. Anyone have any input on this topic? Ideas are gra

tefully
received...

Thanks,

Dave

Nah. Don't bother the lightning; if it strikes the antenna will go to
ground through the TV set etc. (probably blowing the sh*t out of
it!). And then find a way to the home's water supply pipe through
Grandma's vintage silverware.

More seriously: Some may remember church towers that had heavy copper
strips from ground to a spike on top of the steeple etc.
The idea being to try and discharge the high voltage of an incipient
lightning strike before an arc occurred.
Metal boat masts should be 'grounded' to the water for similar reason.

Church behind my house in VT took such a hit a couple of years ago when I was there.

Pics of big bang result and rebuilding on pg 72.
http://www.town.williston.vt.us/webs...rt/annrept.pdf

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/news...r_N.htm?csp=34