Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Rub Brick

Empirical Knowledge concerning rub brick:

It is at least 6 times easier to remove heavy paint (a type some people
paint trailer hitches with) from the driveway with a Rub Brick than it is
with a new wire brush. Not only that, the wire brush approach requires, for
proper clean-up, a strong magnet. I practically "wore out" a wire brush, and
my magnet demonstrated that those little metal strands don't sweep-up well
at all.

SWMBO arrived home to witness me performing this experiment under
atmospheric condtions of 34 degrees with very light rain and quickly drew a
erroneous conclusion concerning my mental well-being! Perhaps (but
unlikely) she may have understood better if she had any knowledge of the
fact that I had arrived home an hour earlier with a new wire brush acquired
just for the sake of this procedure/experiment..but she didn't wait around
long enough to find that out. Later questioning revealed that SWMBO could
not have even described the color of the paint on the driveway, or where, if
anyplace, we even had paint on the driveway--even though I drew adequate
attention to it more than once during recent months.... ; )

On a serious note: If you need to remove paint from a driveway--try a "rub
brick" or a wire brush! Or, use a power washer if you have one. As I
menioned in an earlier post, a rub brick can be had for as little as $9.99
and "will make you strong like bull!". My wife said one of her relatives
used to use that expression too, so it wasn't just my friend, any idea where
it came from (probably from someplace in the early 80's)?

Bill