Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer longevity

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:45:12 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

Is there any appliance that lasts longer than a dryer? I swear, the
dryer my parents had was almost pre-Columbian. Now I open up mine to
replace the belt (it's starting to squeal) and what do I find scrawled
on the front of the drum in pencil?

"New drum, 2-20-70."

I think the only thing I've ever replaced on it was an ignitor.

My clothes Whirlpool washer, gas clothes dryer, stove, and JennAire
dishwasher, Panasonic vacuum, York central AC are well over 18 years
old and going strong. The washer needed minor repair--replacement
cogs inside the agitator. Garbage disposal and over-the-range
microwave lasted about 14 years. Water tank died at 10 years.