Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for Best LED Flashlight

Photon squeeze light. Carry on keyring for
occasional light needs. Like when you drop
your mini mag outdoors at night.

Had something like that with a squeezy thing for the
switch - the squeezy
bit wore out very quickly. Not impressed.

CY: You can get em on Ebay, in quantity down near about a
buck each, post paid.

Mag or Garrity 3 or 4 D cell light. Slice the night. Read
house
numbers. Beat off muggers and burglars. See what is that
noise in your
chicken coop.

Similiarly unimpressed with my 3-cell LED Mag; light output
is crap.

CY: The base is an electrical connection. Screw the butt cap
off, slightly sand the end of the tube, and where the end of
the tube matches the butt cap. Sometimes they over anodize
the tubes or butt caps.

My
2-cell Mag with a conventional bulb is just awesome, though.
Only issue I
have is that there's no provision for a strap so it can be
hung from
things - I'm tempted to see if I can drill the base and add
a small
eye-bolt.

CY: They do make belt holders. You can get the belt loop,
and drywall screw the belt loop to the wall. The eyebolt
should work fine. Take the spare bulb out, drill, thread,
and put a nut on the inside of the cap. Might not have
enough space for the spare bulb, then.

Closet light. Runs on D cells, some run on AA cells. Can
be fluorescent,
filament bulb, or LED. Stationary applications, for short
term light.
Many closet lights are bright enough to light up an entire
room enough
to walk around.

Had some of those, too (3xAA, incandescent). Utter ****.
They never made
it as far as the closets, and I don't know what I even did
with them now
:-)

CY: I'm with you. Garbage, most of them.

Camping lantern. I have one which is fluorescent and runs
on D cells.
But doesn't work when it is cold. LED, or filament bulbs
work when cold.

I have a big ol' oil lamp for that, and so far have managed
not to burn
the tent down

CY: You da man!

Headlamp. Used when working, so as to keep both hands
free.

Talking of which, I had a homebrew lamp made from a car
headlight
grafted onto the body of a cordless drill - it gave a huge
amount of light
and would run for quite a long time (just less useful for
'distance'
work). I finally killed the battery in it though, so it went
the way of
the dodo :-(

CY: Now, that's frieking brilliant (no joke). Very clever
idea. And the 12 volt battery would be rechargable. I had a
six volt hand held spotlamp, the gel cell battery went dead.
Wired it to alkaline lantern battery, and works fine again.
Carbon lantern battery did not provide enough power.