Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
JIMMIE JIMMIE is offline

Default microwave magnetron dead?

On Oct 15, 12:02*pm, mynick wrote:
no shorts between magnetron contacts or ground but when plugged it
does not heat the oven contents and has loud hum
Is it dead(how to make sure) or perhaps requires say 1v higher cathode
heating voltage than what transformer supplies?

Could be a lot of things most are unsafe to test without proper
equipment and experience. The voltages exceed that which can be safely
handled by most voltmeters. Back when I used to work on these things
the first things I would check is the diode, filament caps, power
supply cap. I could do this safely with ohm meter and Hi-pot tester.
I had a homebrew test bed for checking transformers, don't even think
of measuring voltage on these even the filament are at multi kilovolt
levels and grounded to the chassis. The decision to replace the maggie
was usually based on a process of elimination.

Jimmie