Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Zootal[_6_] Zootal[_6_] is offline

Default microwave magnetron dead?

"mynick" wrote in message
no shorts between magnetron contacts or ground but when plugged it
does not heat the oven contents and has loud hum
Is it dead(how to make sure) or perhaps requires say 1v higher cathode
heating voltage than what transformer supplies?

Do you have experience with high voltage and RF equipment, especially
microwave/radar frequencies? Do you have the equipment for measuring high
voltage safely? You need something that can handle 10,000 volts - a cheap
Radio Shack meter will not do this safely. By the questions you ask, I'm
guessing you don't.

I very strongly recommend that you close up the cabinet and either take it
to someone that knows what they are doing, or throw it in the trash.
Microwave ovens are incredibly dangerous if you don't know what you are
doing, and you can end up seriously injured or dead real fast. It's not
worth it - just throw it in the trash.

If you really want to try to fix it and risk killing yourself and burning
down your house, etc. :-)

Try here; http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/

It has some basic service procedures, but I don't think you will find
anything telling you how to troubleshoot the RF or high voltage circuitry.
That requires special knowledge and equipment that not even a lot of the
techs that fix these things have.