Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Looking for Best LED Flashlight

For boat use I would look for something waterproof, I doubt either the
Task Force or a bicycle headlight would be suitable. The Task Force
you might be able to make waterproof by greasing all the O-rings but
you'd still have to deal with the switch (in the tail of the light.)

A bicycle headlight is generally water resistant, not fully
waterproof. Many I've seen have weep holes at the bottom when they're
mounted in the intended orientation, so rain wouldn't hurt them but
immersion would probably kill them.

Mag-lites are supposed to be waterproof but I was not impressed with
the light output or beam pattern of my LED mag-lite compared to the
Task Force (I had the Mag first, so I didn't know what I was missing,)
and it was unwieldy and heavy in comparison.

I think I'd be looking for a higher-end Cree 3W or higher LED
flashlight, one of the "tactical" models for ruggedness and
waterproofing.

nate

On Oct 15, 10:12*am, frank1492 wrote:
I may be looking for something more than many of you think. (Thanks so
much for your ideas.)
* * To clarify, this is the light that caught my attention:http://www..rei.com/product/793941
* * Not really looking to spend quite that much, but this is in the
league, power-wise. I thought it would be good to use in an emergency
on my boat if I got caught in darkness. (Rare but could happen.)
* * Frank

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 23:57:02 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

Should have Li-Ion battery, with good life, and be rechargeable. Saw a
nice bike light, but would like this to be hand-held. Would prefer
flood to spot, high lumen.
* *Recos much appreciated. Thank you!
* * * * *Frank- Hide quoted text -