Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for Best LED Flashlight

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 08:47:04 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Photon squeeze light. Carry on keyring for
occasional light needs. Like when you drop
your mini mag outdoors at night.

Had something like that with a squeezy thing for the switch - the squeezy
bit wore out very quickly. Not impressed.

Mag or Garrity 3 or 4 D cell light. Slice the night. Read house
numbers. Beat off muggers and burglars. See what is that noise in your
chicken coop.

Similiarly unimpressed with my 3-cell LED Mag; light output is crap. My
2-cell Mag with a conventional bulb is just awesome, though. Only issue I
have is that there's no provision for a strap so it can be hung from
things - I'm tempted to see if I can drill the base and add a small
eye-bolt.

Closet light. Runs on D cells, some run on AA cells. Can be fluorescent,
filament bulb, or LED. Stationary applications, for short term light.
Many closet lights are bright enough to light up an entire room enough
to walk around.

Had some of those, too (3xAA, incandescent). Utter ****. They never made
it as far as the closets, and I don't know what I even did with them now
:-)

Camping lantern. I have one which is fluorescent and runs on D cells.
But doesn't work when it is cold. LED, or filament bulbs work when cold.

I have a big ol' oil lamp for that, and so far have managed not to burn
the tent down

Headlamp. Used when working, so as to keep both hands free.

Talking of which, I had a homebrew lamp made from a car headlight
grafted onto the body of a cordless drill - it gave a huge amount of light
and would run for quite a long time (just less useful for 'distance'
work). I finally killed the battery in it though, so it went the way of
the dodo :-(

cheers

Jules