Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default ? on grounding TV antenna

"RickH" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 8:45 am, "Dave" wrote:
Was talking with someone the other day and mentioned that I had just
grounded the TV antenna (the mast, actually) to protect against lightning
strikes, and they said that was not such a good idea because lightning is
more likely to strike a path that goes straight to ground. Now I am not
sure what to do. Anyone have any input on this topic? Ideas are gratefully
received...

Thanks,

Dave

That someone is wrong.

You need to ground the mast directly to a ground rod or electrical
service ground (outdoors), AND also ground the down-lead coax with a
grounding block BEFORE the drip looop and before the coax enters the
house. Use minimum of #8 wire for grounding.

The only exception to not grounding your mast is if the mast itself is
buried 4 feet or more to hold it up (ground mounted mast), so a house
mounted mast you have to ground. You always have to ground the coax
outdoors.

http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/1450089.pdf

http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...hp?tip_num=471

http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...hp?tip_num=398

Wow. THANK YOU for these links. And the good, specific advice. I have the
mast grounded to an 8' copper clad ground rod driven into the earth outside
the house, but do not have the coax grounded. Will take care of that
post-haste. Many, many heartfelt thanks.

Dave