Posted to alt.home.repair
RickH RickH is offline

Default ? on grounding TV antenna

On Oct 15, 8:45*am, "Dave" wrote:
Was talking with someone the other day and mentioned that I had just
grounded the TV antenna (the mast, actually) to protect against lightning
strikes, and they said that was not such a good idea because lightning is
more likely to strike a path that goes straight to ground. *Now I am not
sure what to do. *Anyone have any input on this topic? *Ideas are gratefully
received...

Thanks,

Dave

That someone is wrong.

You need to ground the mast directly to a ground rod or electrical
service ground (outdoors), AND also ground the down-lead coax with a
grounding block BEFORE the drip looop and before the coax enters the
house. Use minimum of #8 wire for grounding.

The only exception to not grounding your mast is if the mast itself is
buried 4 feet or more to hold it up (ground mounted mast), so a house
mounted mast you have to ground. You always have to ground the coax
outdoors.

http://winegard.com/kbase/upload/1450089.pdf

http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...hp?tip_num=471

http://winegard.com/kbase/kb_tip_res...hp?tip_num=398