Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default ? on grounding TV antenna

"terry" wrote in message
On Oct 15, 11:45 am, "Dave" wrote:
Was talking with someone the other day and mentioned that I had just
grounded the TV antenna (the mast, actually) to protect against lightning
strikes, and they said that was not such a good idea because lightning is
more likely to strike a path that goes straight to ground. Now I am not
sure what to do. Anyone have any input on this topic? Ideas are gratefully
received...

Thanks,

Dave

Nah. Don't bother the lightning; if it strikes the antenna will go to
ground through the TV set etc. (probably blowing the sh*t out of
it!). And then find a way to the home's water supply pipe through
Grandma's vintage silverware.

More seriously: Some may remember church towers that had heavy copper
strips from ground to a spike on top of the steeple etc.
The idea being to try and discharge the high voltage of an incipient
lightning strike before an arc occurred.
Metal boat masts should be 'grounded' to the water for similar reason.

--

So, I should leave it grounded and not worry about it being more likely to
get struck by lightning?

Many thanks,

Dave