Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for Best LED Flashlight

The crank up lights with the silver "tornado funnel" in the
middle, I find them to be useless. The crank is noisy, and
the light spreads on a single plane, hardly lights the room.

Kmart has a "Jeep light" with 10 or 20 LED, and three D
cells in the base. Looks like a creature from STar Wars.
I've got a couple of these, and really like them. Long run
tme on D cells. and you can point it to the ceiling, to
light the entire room. These work nicely when it's bitter
cold.

For area light, my favorite is the Ozark Trail fluorescent
camping lantern from Walmart. Ten bucks, and takes four D
cells. Hang from the ceiling, and light the entire room.
Walmart also has fluorescent "closet lights" in the hardware
section which are very good. Fluorescents do not work when
it's cold.

The round "tap lights" are OK for finding the bathroom at
night, but not much more than that. They have either LED or
filament bulb types.

Pocket carry. For me, the minimag with LED conversion is
good. Nite Ize makes a convesion for $4.97 at Walmart. I
went with the Teralux for $25 and very pleased with it.

Harbor Feight has a 15 LED light that takes three D cells.
Very blue light, and very short range. It has its uses,
indoors, but I'e never bring it camping.

Mag makes a LED 2D through 4D light with the mag brand LED
bulb. I got a couple 3D, when Lowes had them on sale. They
are super bright, and the batteries last a long time.
Brighter than my Garrity light that had 3D cells. I even
swapped out the batteries on the Garrity, I thought the
batteries were low, the Garrity was so dim compared to the
Mag LED.

Garrity LED bulb from Walmart, replaces 2D through 6D bulbs.
Blue light, dim, not worth the cost of the bulb. Turns a
good flash light into a nightlight.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Frank" wrote in message

Yes, I would look for the led and look for watt, candlepower
or lumen
output. I bought a 12 led lantern for my wife's use during
power
failures and it does not even give off enough light to read
by. She
bought me one with 20 leds focused in one direction and you
can read by
it. I have several other led lights and, as I said, they
are adequate
for close work. What I really like about led's is that they
get much
more effective power out of a battery.

My main use is hunting and just this week I was out at 5am
in an area I
was somewhat familiar with but needed a light to find the
public stand
and the Lowes light was great illuminating trail markers 200
yards away.