Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Looking for Best LED Flashlight

On Oct 14, 11:57*pm, frank1492 wrote:
Should have Li-Ion battery, with good life, and be rechargeable. Saw a
nice bike light, but would like this to be hand-held. Would prefer
flood to spot, high lumen.
* * Recos much appreciated. Thank you!
* * * * * Frank

Rather than sticking exactly to your specs, I'll tell you what I have
- Lowe's sells a 3W LED "Task Force" flashlight that is excellent.
Much brighter than my slightly older LED Mag-Lite and much smaller and
lighter. Takes two C-cells. I actually use one as a secondary
bicycle headlight, I use rechargeable NiMH C-cells with it and it'll
last at least 6 hours or so on a charge (longest I've let it go, it
was still bright) it's strapped to the handlebars of my touring bike
with a Twofish mounting block. I also got a collimator from
DealExtreme that changes the beam pattern from a spot pattern to a
horizontal line - neither is optimal but the horizontal pattern keeps
me from blinding traffic. It's actually noticeably brighter than my
Lumotec halogen headlight that is driven from a dynohub, but I'm
saving up for a B&M IQ Cyo to replace the Lumotec. Anyway, the
Lumotec and the Task Force together provide enough light for me to
ride on even completely unlit roads well after dark. I'm not a racer
type but I don't ride slowly either.

I like the Task Force so much I bought another one that I keep next to
the front door (still with the included alkaline batteries in it) so
if I come home and the power is out I just use that to see. No need
for candles except in the case of a very extended power failure. It
cost about $30 apiece when I bought mine last year.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...FT-NS-2C+3WATT

nate