Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default GFCI Troubleshooting

"Screed" wrote in message
"Robert Green" wrote in
:

I've had a GFCI outlet that powers a refrigerator and some kitchen and
basement outlets trip twice within the last year. I've reset it after
each trip and it seems to go another six months before it trips again.

What's the best way to determine if this is just a random event or
whether the GFCI is pointing toward a potential shock hazard?

--
Bobby G.

Refrigerators require their own dedicated circuit with no GFCI.

The Nec doesn't required dedicated circuit for a refrigerator

Kitchen receptacles require their own dedicated circuit/'s as well, They
need to be GFCI protected only if the receptacle is approximately five
feet
from a water source (sink).

The Nec requires ALL counter top and island receptacles to be gfci protected

The occasional tripping maybe to due to the fridge motor kicking on while
toaster or some other device is drawing power. Even a plug being pulled
quickly from a receptacle can arc and cause a trip of the GFCI.
Regardless,
your circuit configuration is not acceptable under the current electrical
codes.

You can buy inexpensive receptacle testers that will test a GFCI and other
receptacles for proper grounding. As long as the receptacle is properly
grounded, short circuits will go to ground and shock hazard will be
minimal.

Diagnosing electrical problems without looking at them is difficult as one
cannot determine the quality of the workmanship that went into the initial
wiring of the circuits.

Good Luck