Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer longevity

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The older washers and dryers lasted a long time. My
Whirlpool washer was here, when I moved in, in 1994. I had
to free up the electric motor. Once before I used it, and
once some years later. The timer got sticky, but some
trichlor helped loosen the old dried oil, and some silicone
I think I used to lube it. I use indoor clothes line for
drying. The ones back then were highly dependable.

My parents bought a laundry set about 1965 when they moved
to the first house, and brought it to the new house in 1975.
used it for many years after that.

I don't trust the new electronic gadget washers and dryers.
If you do the cleaning and lubrication (and tighten the
belt), yours should last many more years.

The problem with the electronic controls that I see
all the time is voltage spikes. If you keep voltage
spikes out of your electronic equipment with proper
surge suppression, it will last a lot longer. I will
install surge suppressors on HVAC equipment out in
rural areas and the circuit boards will last a lot
longer. Standard old style stuff is not immune either.
My friends daughter had a tree fall on the power line
to her home and the resulting surge blew the windings
on all the small motors like the fans and defrost
timer in her fridge and electric clock.

TDD