Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default underlayment

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 18:40:54 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

On Oct 14, 7:19*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 17:09:19 -0700 (PDT), Joe
wrote:

I'm installing 5/8' underlayment over a 1/2" subfloor. I've seen
contradicting info on how to orient the underlayment. *Some say right
angles to the subfloor, but some say right angles to the joists. I
cant have it both ways, since my subfloor was installed at right
angles to the joists. What to do? My previous underlayment (which I
removed) was laid across the joists so unless I can find a compelling
reason I guess I'll redo it that way.

Also, I want to use nails. Screws are just plain out of the question,
and I dont want the expense of renting or buying staple equipment. But
the shortest ring shank underlayment nails are 1 1/4", which means
every one will be punching a hole and splintering out the bottom of my
subfloor, which is not desirable. I know they make 25 mm (1 inch)
underlayment nails but I cant find them in the US (or Canada, so
far)..

What to do?

How long will a 1 inch nail hold a 5/8" material?

I'd guess about exactly as long a 1 1/4 inch nail that chips out 1/8"
of the 1/2" subfloor.

I'm sorry as I'm not certain what you mean by "chips out".

Dangling attic roofing nails can get your suspenders caught on the
nail or a hole-in-the-head. Those nails splinter the wood.