Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default underlayment

"Joe" wrote in message
I'm installing 5/8' underlayment over a 1/2" subfloor. I've seen
contradicting info on how to orient the underlayment. Some say right
angles to the subfloor, but some say right angles to the joists. I
cant have it both ways, since my subfloor was installed at right
angles to the joists. What to do? My previous underlayment (which I
removed) was laid across the joists so unless I can find a compelling
reason I guess I'll redo it that way.

Also, I want to use nails. Screws are just plain out of the question,
and I dont want the expense of renting or buying staple equipment. But
the shortest ring shank underlayment nails are 1 1/4", which means
every one will be punching a hole and splintering out the bottom of my
subfloor, which is not desirable. I know they make 25 mm (1 inch)
underlayment nails but I cant find them in the US (or Canada, so
far)..

What to do?

First of all I don't consider 5/8" over 1/2" to be under-layment at all.
That is called a floor. Half inch is nothing.

Under-layment is something you put down to provide a smooth clean surface
for tile or vinyl and can be run either way. Usually it 1/4" and added to at
least a 3/4" sub-floor.

I would install it with the 8' running across the joist and try my darnest
to hit the joists. I would stagger the seams so that the new does not line
up with the old on either direction. I would use a minimum of 8D sinkers to
secure it. Now you have a floor.

To minimize potential squeaks I would use a single layer of 30# felt or a
double layer of 15# felt. Alternately you can use liquid nails or the like
in lieu of the felt.

--
Colbyt