Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default Almost OT - Desk chair restoration question

Nova wrote:

Tim Douglass wrote:

I have in my possession 3 old swivel desk chairs. one dates to the
1940s, I think, another to the late '20s and the third is documented
to 1898. They are all in mostly good condition with a few notable
issues. The biggest issues is with casters, since every type of caster
I have tried that looks even remotely appropriate falls apart after
only a few months in use. Normally what happens is that the cheap
metal socket that goes into the leg deforms and the casters start
leaning, from there the ball bearings for the swivel quickly
deteriorate and the caster is worthless. This is even with casters
supposedly rated at 200 lbs. I have tried every source I could find
for something reasonable, but the only ones I can find that look solid
are rather modernistic in design - chrome and clear plastic. Does
anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with this short of just
buying the casters by the gross and replacing them every couple of
months?

These look like they're high quality without looking modern:

http://www.vandykes.com/product/2045...casters-1-1-4-

Never mind, I just noticed the part about, "Recommended for decorative
or stationary purposes only."

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA