Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Double sealed bearings, Perma-Lube or not?

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 07:47:43 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus19639
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:38:56 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus14507
scrawled the following:

On 2009-10-14, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
What the other Larry said might be true, Ig, (it is in many other
cases), I wonder if there is also a difference in bearing grade here.
The doubled price is about right for that. Do you want them to last
for mere hundreds of thousands or hours or for millions of hours?

No, they are both ABEC-1.

OK.

I overlooked that they had Precision-Plus bearings for $11 apiece that
offer ABEC-3-like precision. But I do not think that anybody cares,
neither me nor the potential buyers.

Yeah, that was my point. Bearings are usually made so well that you
don't need to pay extra to get good ones. Unless you're going for
super high-speed extreme-duty stuff, ABEC-5 and -7 are out of the
question. Mortgage your home for ABEC-9, when you can find it.

Apparently, eBay is full of "ABEC-9" (yeah right) skateboard bearngs,
available at $1 per pack of five.

Ouch! Steep. No doubt they're USA and Union-made at that price,
right? g

Disk drives, OTOH,
had MTBFs of 200-300k hours the last time I looked, but they have
relatively unloaded, unshaken lives.

Hard drives usually fail within five years, which is about 40k hours.
(the failures usually are not due to spindle bearings).

Right, but look at the MTBFs they sport: 100k, 200k, 300k, 500k hours.

--
The blind are not good trailblazers.

-- federal judge Frank Easterbrook