Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Visible Address - Is this Old Fashioned?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
TheScullster wrote:

His van, whilst having a fancy logo job on the side, did not display a land
line phone number or, more importantly, a business address.

Personally I'd be suspicious of anyone not displaying a landline, although
the majority of calls I get are on the mobile. Seems a growing trend,
especially amongst younger customers not to have a landline themselves, so
maybe they wouldn't worry?

I wouldn't worry, if it's the sort of business where a one-man-band is a
reasonable proposition. If it's one guy who, if he's any good, is
probably out working, why would I phone his landline number where he
isn't? I'd either have to leave a message, or at best get redirected to
his mobile and cost him the redirect charge when I might as well have
phoned straight through.

A piece I read recently about the introduction of mobile phones put it
rather well - "we stopped telephoning buildings and started calling people".

For the record I have a landline at home, but only to provide an
Internet connection. In theory it has a cordless phone on it, but either
the handset or the charger is broken and, having never received a valid
call on it when it was working, it's a long way down the list of things
to fix. I did once wire up the guts of a corded phone from my parts box,
in order to dial a work conference call in the US, but now our internal
instant-messaging software can use VOIP to dial phone numbers anywhere
in the world at no cost to me, I'll use my laptop for that on the odd
occasions I need it in future.

Pete