Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default dryer longevity

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:56:16 -0500, HeyBub wrote:
Dialog I heard on the radio:

"Why can't they make cars as dependable as a refrigerator (dryer, drill,
etc.)?

"Well, one reason is that your refrigerator doesn't go down the freeway at
fifty miles per hour!"

"Neither does my car. That's why I was asking the question."

Ha, I like that.

I think cars are certainly more reliable - but the issue nowadays is that
when they break it's usually expensive and time-consuming to fix, and DIY
repairs aren't really possible without lots of service information.
Compare that to the old days where someone typically didn't need much
knowledge to fix a lot of the faults - and could often do so by the side
of the road if needed.

Reliability is all well and good - until something *does* break, which it
always will eventually. Personally I'd rather run something simpler and
just maintain it as I go, but that doesn't suit today's "throwaway"
society...

cheers

Jules