Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default foundation access door

badgolferman wrote:
The foundation (crawlspace) access door to my house is rusty and
falling apart. My house is a 1967 brick-sided ranch house. The door
opening is 32"x16" and unfortunately no local hardware stores carry
this size. I would like to replace this door but it doesn't seem as
simple as just replacing the door and its frame. I think it's mortared
into the foundation but am not entirely sure. Are there replacement
access doors similar to replacement windows that attach to the current
frame or must I get a brick mason to replace this for me?

More than likely it is simply fastened into the foundation w/ anchors
and mortar laid over it at the edges. I'd think it probably relatively
straightforward to replace.

Most locales of any decent-sized population will have a local
window/door manufacturing facility that either has or can make a door
frame of the proper thickness and dimensions to fit the opening and the
door to fit.

That's where I'd start--figure out how it's hung and find a vendor. If
strike out there, then come back...