Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default alternative garage interior wall covering

On Oct 14, 9:36*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:13*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:00 am, jamesgangnc wrote:

I'm building a garage with some living space above it. *I'd like to
insulate and cover the walls in the garage area as well. *But I'd
rather use something besides wallboard since it is so easily damaged.
(See the funny but true earlier posting defintion of a table saw as a
device for shooting lumber into the wall.) *Are there any good
alternatives beside 1/4" paneling? *That won't break the bank.

*Usually the drywall is required in a garage for fire resistance. *When
there is living space above the requirements are more stringent. *You could
increase the thickness of the wallboard for durability or install any number
of surfaces on top of the drywall. *Plywood, OSB or perforated masonite
(Pegboard) are sometimes used.

Yes, I knew there was something about fire resistance involved. *I was
hoping that wallboard on just the garage ceiling would satisfy that
requirement. *Do you have to have wallboard on the garage walls as
well for fire resistance?

The fire-resistive requirement only kicks in as a separation between
the garage and a living space, so the walls don't need to be rated.
Doesn't necessarily make sense to me, but that's what it is.