Posted to alt.home.repair

Default dryer longevity

The older washers and dryers lasted a long time. My
Whirlpool washer was here, when I moved in, in 1994. I had
to free up the electric motor. Once before I used it, and
once some years later. The timer got sticky, but some
trichlor helped loosen the old dried oil, and some silicone
I think I used to lube it. I use indoor clothes line for
drying. The ones back then were highly dependable.

My parents bought a laundry set about 1965 when they moved
to the first house, and brought it to the new house in 1975.
used it for many years after that.

I don't trust the new electronic gadget washers and dryers.
If you do the cleaning and lubrication (and tighten the
belt), yours should last many more years.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news Is there any appliance that lasts longer than a dryer? I
swear, the
dryer my parents had was almost pre-Columbian. Now I open up
mine to
replace the belt (it's starting to squeal) and what do I
find scrawled
on the front of the drum in pencil?

"New drum, 2-20-70."

I think the only thing I've ever replaced on it was an
ignitor.