Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Observations on HF clicker torque wrench

oldjag wrote:
Try moving the lever that applies the weight closer then further away
from the head along the axis of rotation. I have a Craftsman click
type unit and it is easily upset by any off axis loads so it's almost
impossible to get any accuracy with an extension. I took the first
one back, but the second was not much if any better. My Snap-On click
types are not as sensitive to inadvertent off-axis pulls on the
handle. I have two beam types that also don't seem as affected
either. It's a little difficult to apply load to the handle only in
the direction of rotation when working in a tight spot, lying on your
back etc. so this to me is an important consideration on a click type
unit. Any slop in the pivot for the head and it's very likely it
won't work very well unless held perfectly perpendicular to the axis
of the fastener while torquing.

Good point - I hadn't thought of that. In my test set up there is very
little extension, but there is some & it would mean that there is a
force perpendicular to the wrench's axis. There shouldn't be enough to
make it off by 13%, but maybe. I should try a set up where that's avoided.

Thanks,
Bob