Posted to alt.home.repair
Jules[_2_] Jules[_2_] is offline

Default dryer longevity

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 22:45:12 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Is there any appliance that lasts longer than a dryer? I swear, the
dryer my parents had was almost pre-Columbian. Now I open up mine to
replace the belt (it's starting to squeal) and what do I find scrawled
on the front of the drum in pencil?

"New drum, 2-20-70."

I think the only thing I've ever replaced on it was an ignitor.

Not much to go wrong in them, really. Our fridge is 1973, and our stove a
similar vintage. Not much to go wrong in them, either.

Shame everyone tries to put as many features into modern stuff as possible
- usually compromising longevity in the process. That's progress for you,
I guess... :-)

cheers

Jules