Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Fairbairn Jon Fairbairn is offline

Default Visible Address - Is this Old Fashioned?

"The Medway Handyman" writes:

I had Trading Standards check out the site prior to being accredited as a
Fair Trader and they didn't mention an address. They did tug me over my
letterhead which didn't have the proprieters name displayed. I guess they
would have mentioned the address not being on the website.

Only if they were doing they're job properly... as I understand it, the
electronic commerce regulations (Statutory Instrument 2002 No. 2013)
do require you give an address:

General information to be provided by a person providing an
information society service
6. - (1) A person providing an information society service shall
make available to the recipient of the service and any relevant
enforcement authority, in a form and manner which is easily,
directly and permanently accessible, the following information -

(a) the name of the service provider;

(b) the geographic address at which the service provider is
established;

I think "information society service" is generally interpreted to
include advertising your services on a website. Whether you're likely to
get jumped on for leaving it off is another matter. You're not gaining
anything by not putting it on, though. A quick whois query and I Know
Where You Live (descending minor chords).

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)