Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default CPVC vs Copper

On Oct 13, 10:59*am, HerHusband wrote:

When I plumbed our house back in 2003 I considered copper, PEX, and CPVC
piping.

{snip}

PEX has many advantages, but at the time the cost of the crimping tools
was more than I paid for our entire plumbing system. PEX was also harder
to find than CPVC or copper. While availability has improved in recent
years, it's still harder to find the parts and tools.

Back up a second there, old hoss. You said you plumbed a house for
less than the cost of a crimping tool? Say what? Crimpers are just
calibrated pliers - the "expensive" name brand ones have never been
over ~$150. Here's a link from August 2003 - the price of a crimper
was $99.
http://bbs.monolithic.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=223
Maybe you were thinking of a Wirsbo expander...?

In the end, I chose CPVC. It's inexpensive, easy to install with simple
tools, pipe and fittings are widely available from virtually any hardware
store, repairs/modifications are easy when/if needed, and it's not
affected by acidic or poor quality water.

Would you choose differently six years later? PEX is less expensive,
needs very few fittings, the _complete_ tool set costs about $100, is
easier to repair and modify, can stand up to far more abuse, etc.

I have several different types of valves in our plumbing system and the
metal "gate" valve I have in our pump house has been the most trouble
free over the past 5-10 years.

You may be entirely alone on that opinion. Ball valves are far less
troublesome and can lay "dormant" for years without seizing up -
rarely the case with a gate valve.