Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Can I install a ceiling?

IGot2P wrote:
Twayne wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 12:21 pm, "Twayne" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 11:06 am, stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet
on center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight
and cause sagging/or other problems?
4' on center? What's on top of the trusses that's spanning 4'? With
that spacing - a likely cost saving measure - it's unlikely there's
a lot of leeway in the load handling capabilities of the roof
framing. You'd have to frame a ceiling before you could cover it,
and with 4' between trusses that wouldn't be easy to do with a
light structure. The lightest ceiling I could think of would be the
plastic corrugated roofing stuff, and that would still sag a bunch
with 4' spacing.
A hanging ceiling is very light and could likely be used. Don't know
about adding lights to it though. Check with your local code office.
No one here can tell you for sure.
This is a 30 x30 garage with a metal roof. I think it is a 3 or 4 12
pitch. My ideas was to add 2x4's every 4 feet between trusses and use
7/16 osb for a ceiling. If everyone here thinks it might sag or is a
bad idea, I thought abotu using 4x8 insulated panels? I wonder how
that would look?

But your local code enforcement will have the final say on whatever is
acceptable. I'm going to guess that you're in an area where you don't
get snow because that method could never meet roof snow-load
requirements up here. So if you are in an area that gets snow, I
think you're in trouble before you even start. If you don't have the
design specs for it, you might need an engineering assessment just to
pass code as it is. Don't take chances because they could make you
tear it down.
And like I said, the local code office will have final say on
everything.

You should remember that not everyone has to meet any code of that type.
Not everyone lives the same place that you do, go see the rest of the
world sometime.

Even if code and inspection is not an issue, code is a good place for
non-engineers to start, to know if something will probably work and be safe.

--
aem sends...