Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Problem with well not delivering water

On Oct 13, 1:38*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 13, 7:55 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
gwandsh wrote:
The rest of the process was to run things out via hose the next
morning, so as to not compromise our septic system. However, when I
got up, I found that our pressure tank showed 0 psi. When I turn on
the well circuit, I can hear the pump humming, but no water gets
delivered to the pressure tank.

You can hear a pump at 300' deep humming?? Good ears

1. Check the pressure switch. Zero pressure means the switch isn't
doing its job in some manner.

How is that remarkable deduction made? * It would seem to the rest of
us that there are many possibilities besides the pressure switch.

2. The pressure switch probably goes to a relay. Relays generally
have a manual start button, often on the bottom exterior of the
case. Does pushing it start the pump and deliver water? If not, have
the start capacitor inside the case replaced. If pushing it starts
the pump and the zero pressure re-occurs, the start capacitor is
flaky...have it replaced. The one I just had replaced yesterday cost
$35 + the service call..

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

That would at least, be an elimination of many things if the pump fired
up. *Meaning everything from the cap to, not including, the footer check
valve is OK. *Looks to me like the quickest route will be to call in a
pro.- Hide quoted text -

Except the guy clearly said he can hear humming from the pump at the
well head and other noises coming from down the well when the pump is
turned on.

I wonder if something could have been corroded but still working, like
a fitting at the pump, etc and possibly the corroded material was
barely keeping it intact and the chorine attacked it enough that it
failed?

But I agree, the first thing I would do is verify that 240V is present
at the well head. After that, not much else to do but pull the pump.

I hope we hear back what the problem was.