Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Mc Ed Mc is offline

Default Septic System Question

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

Havew the typical septic system with a "chamber" that feeds several
perforated pipes in a leaching field. Believe the pipes are nestled in
gravel, and covered with soil.

These pipes with the holes are, I believe, clogged.
Or, the gravel and surrounding soil are "clogged.

Question:

Before I call anyone in:

a. Are there treatments, or perhaps steam-cleaning for the perforated pipes
that is effective ?

b. Are there treatments or steam cleaning for the gravel and/or surrounding
soil ?

Are any of these doable without removing any over-soil ?

e.g. just a steam probe inserted thru the main feeder pipe to the field,
or... ?

I keep thinking of steam, as it's hard to believe anything else might work.
Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

Around here there are companies who will 'refracture' a drain field.
They blast a shot of air into it. It's illegal in my County but
legal in the next. (I live in Washington state). Don't ask me why..??
The blast of air blows the clogs and surrounding soil into a loosened
state. It is reported to add years to the life of the field. Never had
it done myself.