Posted to alt.home.repair
stryped[_3_] stryped[_3_] is offline

Default Can I install a ceiling?

On Oct 13, 12:21*pm, "Twayne" wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 11:06 am, stryped wrote:
My detached garage with metal siding has 2x4 trusses spaced 4 feet on
center. Can I install a ceiling or will this be too much weight and
cause sagging/or other problems?

4' on center? *What's on top of the trusses that's spanning 4'? *With
that spacing - a likely cost saving measure - it's unlikely there's a
lot of leeway in the load handling capabilities of the roof framing.
You'd have to frame a ceiling before you could cover it, and with 4'
between trusses that wouldn't be easy to do with a light structure.
The lightest ceiling I could think of would be the plastic corrugated
roofing stuff, and that would still sag a bunch with 4' spacing.

A hanging ceiling is very light and could likely be used. Don't know
about adding lights to it though. *Check with your local code office.
No one here can tell you for sure.

This is a 30 x30 garage with a metal roof. I think it is a 3 or 4 12
pitch. My ideas was to add 2x4's every 4 feet between trusses and use
7/16 osb for a ceiling. If everyone here thinks it might sag or is a
bad idea, I thought abotu using 4x8 insulated panels? I wonder how
that would look?