Posted to alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank Hustlin' Hank is offline

Default how hot should an piston air compressor get

On Oct 12, 9:54�pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
My old Monkey Wards 2 piston, single stage, 6 gallon (guessing), 1 hp,
120V air compressor runs as hot as 180 degrees on the cylinder head
when I'm using it a lot. �Is that a normal temperature for this kind
of compressor?

It is basically the same thing as a car engine without the fuel to
burn to make it hotter. Car engines need cooling because of the added
heat from the fuel being burned. They cool car engines down to 180-
200 degrees, which is the normal temp. I am just guessing, but I would
think 180 is about right.

Hank