Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default how hot should an piston air compressor get

"Ashton Crusher" wrote in message
My old Monkey Wards 2 piston, single stage, 6 gallon (guessing), 1 hp,
120V air compressor runs as hot as 180 degrees on the cylinder head
when I'm using it a lot. Is that a normal temperature for this kind
of compressor?

Yes. Compressing air heats it up. Many industrial compressors are water
cooled and then the air goes through a chiller to remove the moisture. Our
150 hp at work will have cooling water temperatures up to 120, air
temperatures over 250.

Be sure you have enough oil in the machine as that aids in cooling.