Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Generator to power MIG welder

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 14:44:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"Jud" wrote in message
Hi all - I haven't been here in a long time, but remember this to be
one of the most knowledgeable groups about all things metal...

I need to be able to power a small MIG welder (Lincoln SP-100T) with a
generator, but don't know enough about voltage, watts, etc to know
what size I need. It won't be continuous use, mostly spot welds or
joints that would require no more than 60 seconds of welding. This is
for an on-site found object metal sculpture.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Jud Turner

AMPS X VOLTS = WATTS. Add a 30% safety margin and you should be able to run
its duty cycle.

A 2600 watt generator would not be adequate for full duty cycle in my
opinion, but a 3500 should handle it all day long.

The welder itself is limited to 10% or 15% duty cycle at max output.