Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Lawn Mower Sounds Like it's Going to Stall ( but doesn't )

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:44:57 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 12, 11:23*am, Jeffy3 wrote:
Have a Craftsman gas push mower that I just bought at the beginning of
this summer. Suddenly the last two times I have used it it sounds like
it's going to stall although it never does. *It hums along fine for a
few seconds then sounds like it's about to *stall then it picks up and
hums along again for a few seconds, almost like clockwork. * When I
push down on the handle to lift the front wheels off the grass, the
engine runs fine. *Any ideas?

When I had that symptom it was diagnosed as a bad carb.

Between that, 2 bald front wheels, a dull blade and a broken blade
mounting bracket, I opted for new.

Couldn't be happier. Honda engine with an automatic choke. Starts with
one pull (or less) everytime.

Hopefully it'll do the same after being stored for it's first winter.

One is supposed to run the engine until it runs out of gas, but even
that leaves some gas in the carburetor.

I'VE HAD GREAT RESULTS USING STA-BIL FOR THE LAST TWO FILL-UPS OF THE
SUMMER. ONE MOWER I DIDN'T USE FOR 18 MONTHS AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP.

I would never go into winter or fall without using it.