Posted to alt.home.repair
E Z Peaces E Z Peaces is offline

Default Lawn Mower Sounds Like it's Going to Stall ( but doesn't )

Jeffy3 wrote:
Have a Craftsman gas push mower that I just bought at the beginning of
this summer. Suddenly the last two times I have used it it sounds like
it's going to stall although it never does. It hums along fine for a
few seconds then sounds like it's about to stall then it picks up and
hums along again for a few seconds, almost like clockwork. When I
push down on the handle to lift the front wheels off the grass, the
engine runs fine. Any ideas?

That's familiar to me. It often means the gas tank is nearly empty. I
think the carburetor is set to run as lean as possible at normal speed.
If it gets too lean and the engine slows, the governor opens the
throttle, which enriches the mixture enough to prevent stalling.

If it's a bowl carburetor, I'd shut off or clamp the fuel line and
unscrew the screw at the bottom of the bowl and catch the gas to see if
it has water or crud. I'd make sure the jets in the screw are clear.
I'd open the fuel line for a moment to see if the flow from the tank is
ample and see if there is any water coming from the tank.