Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff[_12_] Jeff[_12_] is offline

Default Generator to power MIG welder

Jud wrote:
Hi all - I haven't been here in a long time, but remember this to be
one of the most knowledgeable groups about all things metal...

I need to be able to power a small MIG welder (Lincoln SP-100T) with a
generator, but don't know enough about voltage, watts, etc to know
what size I need. It won't be continuous use, mostly spot welds or
joints that would require no more than 60 seconds of welding. This is
for an on-site found object metal sculpture.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Jud Turner

I'm not sure about the sp100t, but some inverters (MIG power supplies)
can be sensitive to voltage spikes, sags, etc. I had to replace a
varistor on my PowCon after it was loaned for some generator-powered
field work.