Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow blower power ratings

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 06:24:16 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:11:11 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:06:26 -0400,
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:26:37 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"
wrote:

wrote in message
m...
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:19:38 -0400,
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:01:54 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message
I am looking for a new snow blower and have discovered that the power
rating of the engines are no longer in "Horse Power" but in "Foot
Pounds"
if given at all. Sometimes all that is given is the CC's of the engine.

Even the people selling these machines don't know what the "Horse
Power"
ratings are so that old geezers like myself can understand what is
going
on. Does anyone have any general rules regarding the conversion of Foot
Pounds or CC's to Horse Power?

Horsepower to CC is highly variable and not a good measure of power. My
cars have different engines. The 3800 cc is 190 HP but my 3300 cc is 234
HP. I suspect smaller engines are similar.

For the types of engines generally found on lawn equipment, comparison
of new engines and old engines of same brand and displacement is a
valid comparison. These are utility engines designed to run at optimum
RPM's while in use. A car engines is vastly different in it's
requirements.

If an old snowthrower with a 13 hp Briggs engine is 350cc, then a new
350cc Briggs powered snow blower will be about the same HP.
Unless the old 350cc 13hp Briggs is a "side valve" engine with 5.6:1
compression ratio, and the new 350cc engine is an overhead valve
engine with 11.5:1 compression ratio - which MIGHT be a 18HP engine.

Numbers just picked out of thin air, but the principal is there.

This is perfectly true. Engines of the same displacement can vary greatly in
power developed due to the ratio of diameter of piston to the length of
stroke, valve configuration, exhaust tuning and other factors.

But in THIS category of engines, that isn't generally a factor. Old
and new Briggs utility engines of the same displacement will also have
similar power characteristics.

You probably won't find a snowblower with a turbo option, and lowered
suspension, either.

The difference between a side valve and overhead valve engine of any
displacement in any application is generally considerable.
It IS a factor, as anyone who is fammiliar with small engines will
know.

Absolutely not a consideration in a snowblower engine, which is run at
two speeds. Stopped and Full Throttle.

Don't bother with a reply unless it actually applies to snowblower
engines specifically. Hint: Snowblowers are not motorcycles.

See my later post. I have not been talking motorcycles. I've been
talking lawn mowers and snow blowers.I have been a small engine
mechanic. Worked for an Ariens dealer back before OHV small engines
were available. Have also been an auto mechanic for many years. Have
owned and worked on flatheads as well as OHV and OHC engines and I
know the difference, and the advantages VERY well.