Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Snow blower power ratings

"Worn Out Retread" wrote in message

My old machine was a 26 inch with an 8 HP Tecumseh engine. It was barely
adequate in heavy snow especially where the snow plough has filled in the
end of the driveway. I don't want to repeat the experience.

More power may not always be the answer though. If you put a 20 HP engine
on that machine, would it blow the packed snow or would it just break the
shear pin, bend the auger and damage other parts? You may be asking the
machine to do more than it is designed to do, no matter the engine size.

I certainly can't say because I did not see or feel the snow you had. My
small machine takes a while with it though, you just have to take small
bites.