Posted to alt.home.repair
Worn out Retread Worn out Retread is offline

Default Snow blower power ratings

"aemeijers" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:35:02 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

Worn Out Retread wrote:
"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Worn Out Retread wrote:
I am looking for a new snow blower and have discovered that the power
rating of the engines are no longer in "Horse Power" but in "Foot
Pounds" if given at all. Sometimes all that is given is the CC's of
the engine.

Even the people selling these machines don't know what the "Horse
Power" ratings are so that old geezers like myself can understand
what is going on. Does anyone have any general rules regarding the
conversion of Foot Pounds or CC's to Horse Power?

the HP is really irrelevant. Don't worry about it.
I guess that you are only going to look at your machine and not
actually do some work with it. Work requires power and knowing what you
have IS important.
Lordy. Unless you are buying pro-grade gear, odds are it is gonna be an
MTD anyway, no matter what brand name is stuck on it. The same size
blower will have the same engine across all the house brands. Buy the
size you need, and move on. Almost always, it will be adequate. The
manufacturer has no percentage in giving themselves a bad reputation, so
they match them up pretty well. Don't lose sleep over it- life is too
short.

If a particular frame size is available with 3 engine options (which
is normal) buy the middle one for normal use, the big one for heavy
snow conditions, and the small one as an ornament. (or for light snow
conditions)

My old 26 incher was available as a 5, 8, and 10 hp.

Mine was a 5 HP Tec Sno-King and was adequate for normal blowing, but
stressed handling deep packed snow plough ridges. When I blew the 5 I
put on an 8, which was the same block as the 5, so fit with absolutely
no modifications.

You must be talking pro-grade from an equipment dealer. None of the stores
around here that are open evenings and weekends, offer any choices in
engine sizes. I'd wager the price at an equipment dealer is a lot higher
than at the big-box, as well. Of course, you are up in Canada- I suspect
there may be more of a market for heavy-duty stuff up there. Around here
in Baja Ontario (aka lower Michigan), anything over 15" shuts down the
city for a day or two.

My old machine was a 26 inch with an 8 HP Tecumseh engine. It was barely
adequate in heavy snow especially where the snow plough has filled in the
end of the driveway. I don't want to repeat the experience.