Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Bulding an outdoor basement stairway entrance

On Oct 11, 6:17*pm, "benick" wrote:
"JayTKR" wrote in message

Oops. *JayTKR = Beta-42. *I posted this from a different computer which
has my JayTKR username set up instead of my Beta-42 username.

"JayTKR" wrote in message
"aemeijers" wrote in message
om...
EXT wrote:

You will need to ensure that the existing footings of the house, or
change the footings of the house so that they are below the frost line
in your area, you will find that this also applies horizontally so that
when frost enters the stairway wall it will freeze the ground in all
directions, left, right and down. For example if you have a 4 foot
frost level you will need the house and any permanent stair walls to
have footings 4 feet below the bottom landing and for 4 feet on each
side of the stairway opening, as well as below the angled portion of
the decending stairs of they run beside the house foundation wall.

So how do they install all the precast outside basement stairwells I see
sitting at the concrete plant on the way to work every morning? Or do
they consider those a window well, since they aren't really attached to
the house?

Interesting. *I hadn't thought or heard about precast basement stairs. *I
just did a Google search and found these links:

http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320387/...-concrete-base....

http://www.careyprecast.com/permentry.htm

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Home-Impr.../cellar-egress....

Although all of these show typical "Bilco"-style basement entrance steps,
and not the kind of stairways that I want that run parallel to the wall,
I didn't see anything on any of them calling for footings, frost line
issues, etc.

Those are for regular single family homes and may not be legal for all
areas...It doesn't matter though because you have a commercial building.....A
whole different ball of wax...Especially in NJ...LOL...

Another good point...I missed NJ as the job location. All bets are
off.

But maybe a spiral would be ok since its access to a "non-occupied"
space.....like a utility room in a commercial building?

cheers
Bob