Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components
Tim Williams[_2_] Tim Williams[_2_] is offline

Default How long does a resistor last?

On Oct 12, 11:29*am, Lostgallifreyan wrote:
I'm wondering how much of it might be due to that voltage coefficient
in carbon resistors. Maybe designers deliberately tried to reduce the effect
by careful biasing, or maybe there is a strong effect that is overlooked, I
really have no idea...

Noise?

It's well known that adding rumble and pop noise to a recording makes
it sound more appealing to the phonograph crowd. And apparently makes
them angry when you tell them that's what you've done.

You aren't going to see much nonlinearity, and resistors certainly
weren't well picked -- 470k is close enough, and with 20% resistors,
who cares anyway. What scares me more is, for instance, how a common
Magnavox 6V6 PP amp uses 0.047uF for the coupling cap to one 6V6, and
0.0047 for the other. And the phase splitter doesn't split anything,
it's just a cascaded stage. The only balancing is due to a voltage
divider. Ewwww. I'd be willing to bet they did that intentionally,
since LF distortion makes phantom bass. They used teensy output
transformers, too.

Tim