Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default OT - Battery care for winter or storage

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Oct 11, 9:52 pm, "RogerN" wrote:
Snip

I've also been disappointed with some of the smart chargers and that is at
least part of the reason for my post here, thought maybe someone here
found
one to recommend. I'm not sure I understand the difficulty a "Smart"
charger would have with batteries. Seems my auto voltage regulators keep
my
batteries happy for years on the car I drive daily. So, maybe if I had a
charger that automatically started charging when the power was on, I could
set a time to charge the battery for maybe an hour a day, to simulate
driving the car an hour a day.

RogerN

/
/
/Smart chargers are based on a chip that have the lead acid charge/
/decay curves telling it how to act. I suspect it monitors the voltage
/of the battery and if that info is faulty then the charger works
/erractically.
/
/I too am a believer in settng chargers up on a timer.
/
/How long to charge? Good question. I just do it a hour a day with 2
/amp chargers and it seems to work. YMMV
/
/TMT

That gives me an idea, if I use a 2 amp charger that starts when connected,
wired the output through relays and use a spare PLC, I can use one charger
and automatically switch it to each battery for 1 hour a day. I can
separate the long runs and run 120VAC to an on board charger.

RogerN