Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Clarke Mike Clarke is offline

Default Dumb question ? - fridges / extension leads

wrote:

My earliest copy (not to hand at the moment) is 13th edition (about 1966)
and I don't recall any mention of bonding sinks. I think bonding and
equipotential zones came in in the late 70s or early 80s. A lot was
overdone at first as a CYA exercise.

In my 1963 issue there's a requirement in Regulation 404 to bond exposed
baths, metal pipes, sinks and tanks with a note that it applied to
bathrooms, kitchens, sculleries, laundries and milking-sheds. But it does
say that this only applied where segregation from metalwork and other
services is impracticable and the exemption to Regulation 214(a) was
invoked. Regulation 214(a) applied where cables were drawn into the same
ducts as extra low voltage circuits, the exception applied to multicore
cables for lifts so perhaps it didn't apply to domestic situations. All a
bit confusing but fortunately just of historical interest now.

--
Mike Clarke