BRuce

Default workbench finished: Sam Allen's joiner's bench with Veritastwin-screw end vise

Thanks Mike, I had just bought something similar to this for another
project, now it will get used at least twice.

Yep, the torque will get you if you are not careful. Long time ago in
another life, I was an electrician and we used Milwaukee right angle
drills and a 1" bit to drill wiring holes for new construction. After
hitting a hidden nail or 6 you learned what torque was all about. :-)
that thing would flip you across the room if you weren't braced for it.

BRuce

Mike in Mystic wrote:
what do you mean by "maintaining vertical"? If you mean drilling the holes
perpendicular to the surface, then I follow. I used a drill guide
(http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...180,42311,4232
1&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID=)

(watch the wrap on the link)

This worked very well. It only accepts 3/8" shank bits though. I used a
3/4" auger bit for everything, and it worked fine.

I did end up destroying the drill guide, though. On the 2nd doghole in the
hard maple end vise jaw I didn't have as good a grip on the drill as I
thought and when the auger bit started to bit into the maple the torque
whipped the drill around, pinning my hand between the drill and one of the
guide posts. The bad thing was, the force from this was strong enough to
bend the shank where the drill chuck attaches to the sliding portion of the
drill guide by about 45 degrees. AND the trigger on the drill was stuck in
the depressed position, causing my fingers to be compressed between the
drill body and the guide bar. Needless to say it hurt like a B**ch and I
was yelling something fierce. It took a second or two to realize what was
causing the drill to keep trying to turn. Anyway, the moral of the story is
make sure you have a good grip on your drill when drilling in hardwoods,
especially when you have a drill that can put out some torque like that
Milwaukee. I did the remaining vise jaw dogholes freehand, as well as the
dog holes on the edge of the benchtop. I wouldn't have tried that with the
holes on the benchtop itself, though, and if I ever need to do this type of
drilling again I'll definitely buy another of these drill guides.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

BRuce wrote in message news:1069360905.393745@sj-nntpcache-5...

how did you maintain vertical? i will be drilling through prefinished
hardwood flooring and 2 x 3/4" plywood so it won't be as difficult but
vertical seems to be an issue.

yep, lots of power and the quick charger is very good. SWMBO got me the
package last year for Christmas and the "rebate" was another battery, so
one in the drill, one in the saw and one in the charger. I have never
had to wait for a battery to charge.

BRuce

Mike in Mystic wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Thanks.

The Milwaukee drill earned it's weight and then some on this bench. All

the

dog holes were drilled with it, as were many of the the joinery joles

for

the bench base. Having the quick charger is a big plus. But the best

thing

was the torque on this drill - never had a problem even in the hard

maple

drilling a 3/4" auger bit. I know that some of the new impact drivers

have

even more torque, but I can't see why you'd need more than this drill

has.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

BRuce wrote in message news:1069335401.308205@sj-nntpcache-5...

nice bench, hope to have mine finished before the year is out. I like
your cordless drill too, have one just like it and the companion
circular saw. they both do a great job.

BRuce (Benson NC)

Mike in Mystic wrote:

Hi wreckers,

I finally finished up the last few details on the workbench I finally

got

around to building. Although not as pretty as a lot of the benches

I've

seen, including several recent posts, I think the functionality it
represents will still make it a joy to use. Since this is basically a

step

up from a Workmate, there is no question that I'm going to be thrilled

put it to use.

I'll post a few pics on ABPW, but you can see them all, as well as some
further details of the bench, at this website:
http://pages.cthome.net/logmanworld/workbench.htm

Let me know what you think!

Mike