Posted to alt.home.repair

Default desk finishing question

On 10/11/2009 6:05 PM rlz spake thus:

I recently built a office desk out of red oak with raised panels on
the front and sides. My question revolves around the finishing of the
desk. I've noticed slight variations in the wood tones and am concern
about achieving a consistent finish. I was thinking of using a can of
Pecan stain, but would like suggestions on maybe a better way to do
this. I'm a newbi when it comes to finishing furniture, except for
the stain in a can and poly.
Any suggestions?

Yes; forget stain.

You seem to be confused between finishing with stain and using clear
finishes (varnish, shellac, etc.). If you try and mess around with
stain, you're practically guaranteed to introduce even more color
variations.

Most woods, including oak, exhibit a range of colors within the same
species of wood. This is normal, expected, and usually looks nice. Leave
the color alone. Prep the desk as needed (cleaning, steel wool or
*minimal* sanding), then use a clear finish (my preference is oil-based
varnish, *not* polyurethane, and certainly not water-based varnish).
That's it.