Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.components
Lostgallifreyan Lostgallifreyan is offline

Default How long does a resistor last?

(Hal Murray) wrote in
news
There is another dimension to consider: duty cycle. I've been told
(but don't have first hand experience) that old fashioned carbon
composition resistors are much better at pulse loads that newer
carbon film resistors.

They're also a lot better at high voltage. I'm just mentioning this because
when I used some for a HeNe supply current limit resistor, they really
impressed me. Most other things I tried eventually burned. Basically, a solid
mass is better than a film for HV, it seems.