Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Magnetic Drill Bit Holder

On 2009-10-10, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
This looks like a pretty good idea:

What I like best is that you don't have to thread the bit through 2
holes when replacing it. Just slap it in the slot.

There are old benchtop drill indexes made by multiple makers
which have only a single hole for each bit -- the bottom drops in and
holds the bit upright.

But what I want is one for the number-size bits, which are what
I use most frequently.

I'd want one for 1/16 to 1/2 by 64ths & I could make one like that. But
before I do, has anyone used one & are there disadvantages that I don't
see? I.e., that make it less convenient than it looks.

Hmm ... perhaps residual magnetism in the bits (from the holder)
causing them to turn into balls of chips stuck to the end? Easy enough
to wipe off, but if you have to do it for every hole for a large number
of holes, it could get to be inconvenient. Keep a degausser nearby?

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564